Sunday, February 1, 2009

Raw foods


Ever heard of raw foods? It's a lifestyle choice entailing the consumption of only raw fruits, vegetables, sprouted seeds and beans, and raw nuts. This is something I abide by about 95% of the time and love it. I am happy to tell you more about how this has effected my health, my allergies, etc. Anyway, you can keep it simple and do salads and crudites, or you can make it more complicated and actually prepare dishes. I don't do much food prep as it is extremely time-consuming in raw foods land - you can't just pop something in the oven. Nothing can be heated over 118 degrees, so, yes, this means no microwaving, no baking, nothing like that. But there are some simple "cook"books out there that you can pick and choose from and get hints... for instance, I made "Hummus" the other night from a book called RAWvolution. It is a no-bean hummus, made with two zucchinis, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, and salt. Oh, and garlic, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment